Are you suffering from a heat wave? Toronto had 4 consecutive days of high temperatures (+32C, humidex reaching to +42C). I kept close to a pool yesterday, and stayed out of a steamy kitchen🙂 If you are suffering too, a cooling bowl of this pasta salad won’t go unnoticed! It makes the perfect lunch or a light dinner on a hot summer day. Make this dish early in the day to allow time for the flavors to blend. Enjoy and stay cool!
Another cooling tip: used the same water to cook both pasta and a vegetable. Additional bonus – it cuts down a pot to clean!
Adapted from the Flat Belly Diet Cookbook.
- 4 oz whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the rotini and cook per the package directions.
- Add the broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and basil to the bowl with the pasta. Stir the pesto and oil and toss well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How do you beat this heat?