Oven roasting brings out the incredible flavour of tomatoes and is a great method for intensifying the sweetness of just about any vegetable. Pair some roasted vegetables with either grilled fish, chicken or steak, and some kind of salad (click here and here). Your family or guests will be impressed!
OVEN-ROASTED TOMATOES AND MUSHROOMS (serves 4):
- 12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 16 white mushrooms
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper or red-pepper flakes if you like it hot
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 325F.
- Toss everything in a large bowl and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the tomatoes are very soft but still hold their shape.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm or at a room temperature.