I am not much of a baker and don’t have a major sweet tooth. But once a in while I am craving something sweet and if I come across a recipe that doesn’t require fancy ingredients it always makes me want to bake.
Couple of weeks ago, Rachel on Rachel Eats wrote about baking this cake. It looked absolutely perfect! The process didn’t seem intimidating which is always a plus in my books 🙂 I’ve substituted some all of the ingredients so I didn’t have to run to the store.
The cake is not cloyingly sweet, very aromatic and goes well with a cup of coffee or tea.
Adapted from Rachel’s recipe:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup raw organic sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
for the glaze: juice of 1 large grapefruit
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Mix all of the ingredients and transfer to a greased pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn down the heat to 325 F and bake for another 25-30 min.
- Spike holes into the top of the cake while it still warm and in its pan and pour over freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
- Let it cool, take out of the pan and serve.