This classic French Onion Soup underwent a major Flat Belly Diet makeover! The cheese has been replaced with lots of tender strips of beef tenderloin so the sodium level in this dish is much lower. Hope you’ll love it 🙂
Beefy Onion Soup
Adapted from the Flat Belly Diet.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz beef tenderloin cut into very thin strips
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 c reduced-sodium beef broth or water
- chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Add the beef and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth or water, pour in the vinegar, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook fro 15 minutes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve with 1 slice whole grain French bread, toasted, and rubbed with garlic.